Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Love of Halal Gyros



Asalamu Alaikum all! I'm a bit busy these days and want to be more consistent with this website, so I thought I'd share with you a comic I made for my friends back in high school. It's a bit random, has some inside jokes and you'll notice a lot of similarities to one of the previous comics, but I'm sure you'll forgive me.

I made this some time after a gyro cart (also known as chicken and rice carts or halal carts) appeared a few blocks away from my high school. If you live in New York City, you've probably heard of the 53rd and 6th halal cart. Well this was a local version of that, which can now be found all around the city. They serve lamb and chicken over a platter of brown rice or pita bread with salad on the side. But what really makes them a hit is
the super secret (well not so secret anymore) white sauce. The hot sauce is pretty good too, but its stronger at some carts, so be careful.

As you can probably tell, we were pretty passionate about this street delicacy. It was the perfect meal for a cheap high school student, costing only $5 (now its around $6 and sometimes $7) for more food than can fill you up and a free drink. Best of all, it was halal! Besides the food itself, what would often start as a walk to get a meal would end up as a hangout that would strengthen the bond of friendship between us. I guess you can say gyros/chicken and rice became a mini way of life for us.

But it wasn't all pleasantry. One of my friends (for anonymity's sake we'll call him Habibi) was infamous for
freeloading. At lunch, he used to freeload off my sandwiches to the point where my mom started making him his own sandwiches. One time, we were eating gyros on the bus ride home. Habibi didn't come to get gyros with us, but caught up with us on a later stop. That meant we had gyros and he didn't. He told my friend (let's call him Zenny), "Let me just get one bite." Zenny graciously gave Habibi his fork. Habibi took his one fork full of lamb, chicken and rice, but then kept on eating! He said "one more," and would continue eating with no sign of stopping. It came to the point where Zenny had to punch Habibi to make him stop. We had a good laugh from that, which inspired this comic.

In the comments section: Did you ever have an experience like this? Do you have a special memory associated with a certain food?