Monday, May 21, 2012

Parents and Cheeseburger Flavored Hookah

Click the picture to proceed

My dad once told me that when we are children, we think that our parents know everything, but when we become teenagers we start thinking our parents know nothing. Once we grow and mature a bit more, we realize that our parents were right more often than not. I used to keep this quote in mind while growing up, but I still had those moments where I argued with my parents over something I thought I was 100% right about. Low and behold, a few years later I realized they were right, or I could at least sympathize with their point of view.
I was reminded of this when I was reading Quran and came across the verses quoted at the end of the comic. I thought it was interesting and a bit unexpected that Allah chose to mention how the Prophets Eesa (Jesus) and Yahya (John) (peace be upon them) were not disobedient to their parents. Typically what we hear about a great historical figure are his accomplishments, maybe some mention of his good character, but we usually don't hear about his relationship with his parents. Maybe it is a reflection of something we are lacking. Many of us are so bent on achieving our goals, including Islamic ones that we disobey our parents in the process. It is counterproductive, because at the end of the day, all of our accomplishments mean little if we were jerks to our parents.

Here's a little tip for situations where you really want something, but your parents disagree. Remember that your reward from Allah for pleasing your parents is much greater than the pleasure you would have gained from what you missed out on.

P.S. The part about the coal jumping out and burning the friend was exaggerated, but based on a true story haha.


In the comments section, share with us a time where you thought you were right, but later realized your parents were. Let me know what you thought of the comic and any ideas for future ones!