Saturday, April 28, 2012

Classic Comic: Backbiting is Bad for Them, But Worse for You

Asalamu Alaikum ya'll,

Sorry, but I couldn't make a brand new comic today. I'm studying for an exam, which is taking up much of my life right now. So I decided to use an old comic I made a number of years ago on good ol' Microsoft Paint. I was planning on making a comic on the same topic anyway, but was hoping to address it in a more relevant way.
The point either way is that backbiting hurts the people you are talking about, but is worse for you. If Allah wasn't so just and made backbiting such a detrimental sin, I can only imagine how much I would do it. It's sometimes so tempting, especially something as common as making fun of your teachers, or that kid in your class who is such an easy target for jokes.
The worst thing about backbiting in my opinion, is that once someone tells you something unpleasant about someone, it is so hard not to judge that person, even if  it's unlikely to be true. There are quite a few people who were really nice when I met them, but after someone tells me a rumor about them, it's hard to take it out of my head and recognize the good qualities these people showed me when I first met them. It's just not fair to do this to someone, especially when they are not there to defend themselves.

That is why Allah says in the Quran, "O you who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is sin. And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his brother when dead? You would detest it. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Accepting of repentance and Merciful." Allah compares backbiting to eating the flesh of your dead brother to emphasize how disgusting this act is. So let's catch ourselves next time we find ourselves badmouthing someone behind their back and say something good instead. It'll make you feel better, insha'Allah (God willing).


What is your greatest challenge, when it comes to refraining from backbiting. How do you get over it? Let us know in the comment section!